Re: [SLUG] print server for Windows

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 01:55:40 EST

Eben King wrote:
> So I was thinking about implementing a print server for a couple XP
> boxes on the LAN. Before the upgrade, I used W2K in VMware. I
> already had VMware to run other stuff, so that was easy. Now, I've
> done a massive upgrade (2.4 to 2.6, ~RH 8.5 to Ubuntu 5.10) and I'm
> pretty sure I'd have to re-buy VMware (student price, but still count
> on $150). It was prettty flaky before. Guaranteed to work, easy to
> set up.
>
> Then I figured, hey, I don't need to run VMware, I have a *real* W*
> machine now; a physical print server would be trivially easy to set
> up, and up all the time (VMware wasn't). What would that run,
> $80-$100 or so?
>
> Then, this thought came to me, maybe CUPS + Samba can do it, for
> free-as-in-beer. (Way back when, I used some pretend-you're-a-Mac
> program to print to a a Deskjet 1200C [PostScript inkjet], which
> exported itself on the LAN as a Laserwriter -- is that related?) Any
> chance this would work? It's a Canon i560. The last time I checked
> (OK, several years ago), it wasn't (easily?) handled by any Linux
> tools I could find, but I don't know about now.

Maybe you're doing this for the challenge... in that case ignore what
I'm about to say. However, you can simply purchase a printserver that
supports IP off eBay for under $20... maybe even $10. Heck, I've got
two - 3port HP print servers I'd sell ya right now! The advantage to a
print server is that it consumes less power, produces less heat, takes
up less space, etc.. Works with linux or windows boxes.