Re: [SLUG] print server for Windows

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 02:14:06 EST

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Eric A. Hicks wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> So I was thinking about implementing a print server for a couple XP boxes
>> on the LAN.
>>
>> Then, this thought came to me, maybe CUPS + Samba can do it, for
>> free-as-in-beer.
>>
> Maybe you're doing this for the challenge... in that case ignore what I'm
> about to say. However, you can simply purchase a printserver that supports
> IP off eBay for under $20... maybe even $10. Heck, I've got two - 3port HP
> print servers I'd sell ya right now!

Challenge is good, if I'm doing it for my own pleasure. However, if I don't
get this working soon, I'll have some family members looking for torches and
pitchforks.

> The advantage to a print server is that it consumes less power, produces
> less heat, takes up less space, etc..

Well, my computer would be here and on anyhow, so those are moot. However,
a physical print server does take up less RAM and fewer CPU cycles than
CUPS, and I can break the software on my box and others won't be (too)
affected.

> Works with linux or windows boxes.

Let me know off list what you're asking.

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.