Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu questions

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 23:18:10 EST

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

>> What harm could possibly come of going to the Debian repositories? I could
>> understand not wanting to reference Red Hat repositories, for example, on
>> your Ubuntu system, but really?
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq#head-d368048c60b7e3a33e73258a68dd824d7bc6a838
>
> More specifically, Ubuntu systems use a more current glibc and
> packages are compiled with a more current version of gcc. Those are
> the biggees. There are other differences, and as binary compatibility
> with Debian is not a goal of Ubuntu, I imagine the number of
> differences are growing rather than shrinking.

So source-based packages should be fine then? Or is the directory layout
different?

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.