Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu questions

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 22:18:56 EST

> Ubuntu IS Debian, isn't it?

No, it is not. Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the
Public Interest, Inc.

Other distributions are not Debian, though they are free to use the
Debian "open use" logo (the one without the bottle that everybody
uses) to refer to Debian without permission.

Ubuntu is Debian based. Depending on who you talk to, Ubuntu is a
Debian derivative (others argue it's more of a fork, considering their
MO).

> What harm could possibly come of going to the Debian repositories? I could
> understand not wanting to reference Red Hat repositories, for example, on
> your Ubuntu system, but really?

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq#head-d368048c60b7e3a33e73258a68dd824d7bc6a838

More specifically, Ubuntu systems use a more current glibc and
packages are compiled with a more current version of gcc. Those are
the biggees. There are other differences, and as binary compatibility
with Debian is not a goal of Ubuntu, I imagine the number of
differences are growing rather than shrinking.

More detail here:
http://www.tectonic.co.za/print.php?pid=657

~ Daniel