Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu questions

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 20:35:11 EST

Logan Tygart wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 13:46 -0500, Sick Twist wrote:
>

>>>From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>

><snip>
>

>>>Great, thanks. Through that I found (the seemingly excellent)
>>>http://apt-get.org/; the only thing I need to know to make it really useful
>>>is what do I do to make a woody/sarge/whatever repository accepted?
>>>

><snip>
>

>>It's generally not a good idea to mix versions. What you are talking about
>>is not only mixing versions, but mixing distributions (Debian & Ubuntu). If
>>you insist on doing so, read up on apt pinning. The file to modify for this
>>is /etc/apt/preferences.
>>

>I agree with Jonathon's statement 100%. Mixing Debian repositories with
>Ubuntu is asking for trouble. But, to answer your question, the place
>to make the "repository accepted" is /etc/apt/sources.list. Then apt-get
>update and apt-get -u upgrade.
>
>I have never used Ubuntu, so YMMV. You might want to consult
>http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
>
>Logan

Ubuntu IS Debian, isn't it? What harm could possibly come of going to
the Debian repositories? I could understand not wanting to reference
Red Hat repositories, for example, on your Ubuntu system, but really?

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
I'm not picking my nose.  I'm pulling things out of it.