Re: [SLUG] hardware dependancies?

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 21:06:54 EST

...<snip>...

> I'm not implying anything about you or anyone else in particular. I'm
> just pointing out that the human in front of the terminal does have an
> influence.

    Oh, and there's nothing you said that I should take offense to, but
for instance: Last weekend, I set up my brother's machine with a
dual-boot system, Debian and XP. That was the first time that I have
ever successfully done one. I tried to do the same thing on my extra
machine, and it didn't work! On his, the Debian installer couldn't see
the XP partition for some realosn, so I didn't install Grub to the MBR,
but used NTLDR instead. When I was doing the same thing on my machine,
it did see XP, but I couldn't get Debian to boot properly like that. I
set that project aside, and I will undoubtedly get back to it, but I
found it very strange that such a remarkably similar operation could
have such vastly different results on the two machines.
    As far as the video is concerned, I'm with you. I've ALWAYS had to
have. For some reason, though, I still don't think it's working
properly. It doesn't seem to have as much response as I think it
should, but I'm not using ATI drivers. I'm using whatever Debian
installed in the xserver. I would like to get that ironed out more, but
like the other system's dual boot, I'm having plenty of fun with other
stuff currently.
    I think it's funny that so many people I know ask me what I do with
my computer. Do I play games? Keep records on a sophisticated
database? No. More often than anything else, I just play with it. I
learn how to configure different stuff. Half the stuff I have learned
how to do isn't even valuable for me to know for my purposes. I told
friends and family that I successfully booted XP in an emulator under
Debian. They asked me what I did with it. Nothing. But it was cool.
In fact, it's installed there still, but I haven't booted it up again
since I set up Qemu a couple of months ago.
    So, the thought suddenly occurs to me: I configure for the joy of
configuring. I use open-source apps just to see how cool they are. I
have more live cd's than most people do in a lifetime. Am I turning
into a Linux user? ;-P

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
I'm not picking my nose.  I'm pulling things out of it.