Re: [SLUG] hardware dependancies?

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jan 31 2006 - 11:47:53 EST

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 11:04, Ian Blenke wrote:
> More than that, you're turning into a sysadmin :)
>
> And the best part about learning all of the OpenSource apps and their
> configurations: they're not going anywhere. They'll be there 15 years
> from now, and someone will ask how you know it so well.
>
> Sysadmins aren't afraid of the software. They just know it. And it's not
> knowing _how_ to configure something that makes it appear effortless to

Well put! Except I'd say that you are not afraid, and know how, because the
instructions on how to install and configure it are written and you just have
to read it. Since you know how a system works you can also get around
incomplete docs.

If all that fails you can join a mailing list for the s/w and get your answers
there, or a list like this one. Though it's almost always better to ask on
the specific application list.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.