Re: [SLUG] Linux Kiosk @ USF

From: Tevfik Yücek (tevfik.yucek@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 15:51:48 EST

Hi Tom,

I am a student in engineering. Our unix system admin set up 3 kiosk
computers running linux (red hat?). They are for a similar purpose as
your application.

While chatting with him, he mentioned that only one computer can be
connected to 3 monitors and do the same thing. He said he just did not
have time to exploit it. I have no idea how you can do it but it would
be much easier and better if you just use 1 computer and 10 displays.
Maybe some other people from the list has a clue on this. I think it
is worth to try.

Good luck,
Tevfik

On 2/10/06, Tom E. Craddock Jr. <sigtom@sigtom.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive recently started working at USF in the registrar/admissions office
> as a support tech. Its part time, I like the work, and the people here
> are great. Im not sure how many of you are familiar with USF in Tampa,
> but here in the Registar's office, we have 10 PCs set up that allow
> students to logon to Oasis (which is the student/faculty web
> app/portal). It gives them access to class registration, paying for
> classes, etc. The PCs are now running Win 2000, using Active Desktop to
> make the home page (set to the Oasis Announcment page) the background.
> They do allow the students to check email thru their USF accounts, and
> Ive been told they would like to allow students to access webmail esp so
> they can check thier own email (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, whatever) in case
> there are classes or professors listed in the emails that they need
> access to while using Oasis here in our office.
>
> Ive been told that I can switch all the PCs over to linux. My boss'
> like the idea of using linux, they like the fact that many students wont
> be able to/arent able to 'mess up linux like they can Windows', and that
> any web exploits are mainly targeted to IE and windows boxes, as well as
> spyware/adware. Ive been thinking of how best to do this, and would
> like input from the list.
>
> Heres what Im thinking so far, please correct me if Im wrong.
>
> Id install Kubuntu (Im a KDE fan) Breezy Badger on a server. This would
> be my LTSP server (using Ubuntu since LTSP has been integrated into this
> distro). That machine would have either one 20 GB and one 100 GB HDD,
> the 20 GB holding the OS for the server, the 100GB holding all my boot
> images/kernels/fs needed for my clients and wold be exported w/NFS to
> each client for /home and the like. Ive never used LTSP before, but
> have been reading all I can on thier site and wiki to get some ideas of
> the software. Is it correct in my thinking that I would make just one
> boot image/kernel, and then all 10 PCs would be able to use that same
> kernel as long as each PC had the same hardware; or no matter what
> hardware the machines have, identical or not, they would all use a diff
> kernel? Hope that question made sense. I thought that LTSP would just
> use one kernel that all 10 PCs would use, so upgrading is as easy as
> just upgrading one kernel and fs, and all PCs would be updated, or is
> that incorrect? The 10 PCs we have now are all at least P2s Ive been
> told, but havent checked. Id hopefully be able to boot each one with
> netboot thru the BIOS using the network interface, but can always get
> around that with a boot floppy if need be.
>
> Im looking for a solution thats mainly easy to keep working (no downtime
> is good, the PCs are only on 9 hours a day, so its not 24/7 at least)
> and is easy to deploy to at least 10 diff machines, maybe scalable if
> the powers that be like it enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for
> [...]

Ciddiyet, marifetle mebsuten mütenasiptir.