Re: [SLUG] recover NTFS

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 12:03:50 EST

On Monday 20 February 2006 11:02, Eben King wrote:

> > It was having access problems. (Checksum errors.) So it would reread over
> > and over.
>
> Fair enough. But disks are fast. It must have been rereading thousands of
> times. You'd think it'd give up and return an error before then.

There are seconds of timeout...

> > Ah, still using w98... OK, that's a problem in itself. I'd strongly
> > recommend moving up to W2K SP2.
>
> Other computers do use XP (until recently some used W2K), but that on's a
> Celeron 450. Rather underpowered.

Yeah, but all XP versions has the bad EULA. W2K SP2 is the last acceptable
one.

> > Hmm. My experience is that NTFS (under Linux file system driver) is
> > working fine. It is not exactly new as that has been in progress for
> > years now. It's being considered experimental but I have had zero
> > problems over the last couple of years.
>
> OK. I thought the write support had severe limitations, like it could only
> replace files, and with one of the same length too.

Not at all. NTFS support is actually quite old by now. We just not sure about
the specs and have been concluding how it must work. We must be pretty close.
It probab;y should not be used in a corporate production environment. But I
must say I've had no problems for years. (Not that I write very much, so I
could just be lucky : )

> > BTW, It's commonly written as KB and GB.
>
> They're different: K=10^3=1000, G=10^9=1000000000; Ki=2^10=1024,
> Gi=2^12=1073741824. http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Yeah, but it's understood, just not noted.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.