Re: [SLUG] Parent monitoring software for linux?

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 12:24:20 EST

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 14:30 -0500, Everett Attebury wrote:

> On 2/19/06, Larry Brown <larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com> wrote:
> Kind of goes against the "free" idea behind Linux. But for
> people who
> have young children and need to be assured some @#!@ing
> pervert isn't
> convincing their kids he is someone who knows their inner self
> and needs
> to meet them privately somewhere, it is invaluable. I'm
> pretty sure I
> can write something to hook into iptables and between that and
> the
> parent ensuring they do not have encrypted tools, have a
> reasonable
> method of keeping an eye on them. However, I'd rather not
> have to write
> something and have them use an accepted tool for such
> things. Does
> anyone know if such an animal exists for Linux?
>
> Here's a couple of articles:
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/01/1833212&tid=49
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/13/1922253

As in the first link that Everett mentioned, squid (or squid based
DansG) is the way to go for browser content filtering. I don't know for
sure but I don't think DansGuardian does anything for IM stuff though.
A quick search through freshmeat.net turned up this for a GPL AIM/IM
sniffer:

http://www.aimsniff.com/about.html

http://www.aimsniff.com/screenshots/index.html

HTH!