Re: [SLUG] Brighthouse speed upgrade

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 23:52:56 EST

Matt Florell wrote:
> Our business upgrade seems to be more outages and higher latency.

You're not alone. We're experiencing much the same. Latency is getting
horrible, and the backbone outages are outrageous.

> Everything was fine for the first 2 years of the service at our 4
> locations, but the last 6 months have been horrible. I've been through
> 3 Cable modems and had a half dozen RR Engineers out to our offices
> and nothing fixes it.

The last 6 months have been horrible alright. We have many cablemodems
at numerous sites, it's not a cablemodem issue, it's a backbone problem.

> We're dumping RR for RSair in March, the overnight outages are causing
> massive problems with our off-site nightly backups, not to mention our
> office-to-office VOIP phone calls.

We use the cablemodems now largely for bulk high-latency traffic (mostly
web surfing, etc).

For inter-office links we've had to fall back on point to point T1s to
carry our interactive traffic. Otherwise, we could never manage our
remote farms with the damn high-latency high-loss crap from BrightHouse.

At home, I do indeed seem to have 7M down and 512k up on a commercial
Xyxel Prestige 900 "virtual office" cablemodem. I can easily saturate
the downlink from any of our datacenters. Working from home is spotty at
best, as the backbone peerings seem to bounce like rubber balls during
the day for no apparent reason. High packet loss, high latency
traffic... gah!

Wake up BrightHouse! Fix your peerings. I for one can't wait for Verizon
FIOS.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>