Re: [SLUG] inodes on reiserfs

From: Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 17:37:36 EST

Eben King said:
<snip>
> size(file) = 0 : 127
> 0 < size(file) <= 1k: 1817 <--
> 1k < size(file) <= 2k: 976
> 2k < size(file) <= 4k: 930
> 4k < size(file) <= 8k: 1551 <--
> 8k < size(file) <= 16k: 562
> 16k < size(file) <= 32k: 643
> 32k < size(file) <= 64k: 680
> 64k < size(file) <= 128k: 415
> 128k < size(file) <= 256k: 293
> 256k < size(file) <= 512k: 226
> 512k < size(file) <= 1M: 126
> size(file) > 1M: 213
>
> What's tail packing?

>From mount(8):

notail By default, reiserfs stores small files and `file tails'
 directly into its tree. This confuses some utilities such as
 LILO(8). This option is used to disable packing of files into
 the tree.

I heard third hand rumors about that once and I always mounted notail when
using ReiserFS. I finally completed my migration away from ReiserFS
recently.

While I haven't had any recent problems, fsck tools that segfault still make
me nervous, and doubly so given my recent score of disk failures.