Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 00:42:37 EST

>>>is there any real advantage to 2.6 over 2.4?

<snip>

>>I think Eben best answered the overall question, but I wanted to make a
>>comment about the superiority of 2.6 over 2.4 kernels. The primary
>>benefit you'll notice is speed. The memory subsystem was considerably
>>reworked between the 2.4 and 2.6 series.

<snip>

>Support for more RAM and better scalability to newer and faster CPU's. Under
>2.4 you could only have 255 major devices defined due to the limitation
>of /dev. With 2.6 it now supportss 4095 major device types.
>
>Linux I/O has had major improvements. Resulting in networking being even
>faster under 2.6. Faster disk I/O.

<snip>

>2.6 was really a huge overhaul that changed the efficiency under which 2.6
>operates with internal and external devices. The improved support for scaling
>to many CPU's gave us the improved user experience as things need to run
>"tighter" to not stumble on each other.

<snip>

>The 2.6 kernel got Linux up to be able to compete with the big boys. Linux had
>finally grown up.

Thank you, Eban, Paul, and Steve. It looks like I will be sticking to
2.6 and probably shopping for more mice. I really like my Logitech
wireless set. Maybe I should just get a kvm switch...

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
I'm not picking my nose.  I'm pulling things out of it.