Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 00:32:01 EST

> I have in my posession an optical trackball, which X thinks of as:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "CorePointer"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> Option "Buttons" "6"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 5"
> EndSection
>
> It works fine with kernel 2.6.15.1. Therefore it's not that
> ExplorerPS/2 mice don't work with 2.6, it's that those _particular_
> ExplorerPS/2 mice don't work with 2.6

That may very well be.

> (and I suspect that it's the configuration of your software [1], not
> the kernel version, that's the issue).

All I know is that I cannot coax 2.6 to play nice with them, and it is
not an issue with M$ or 2.4.

> Have you tried some LiveCDs or rescue CDs?

Yes. It works fine with Knoppix 3.7 (kernel 2.4) and freaks out any
later version of Knoppix (kernel 2.6).

> If it's a roll-your-own kernel, make sure you have all the necessary
> modules available.

I'm not far enough along in my Jedi training to try that one yet. It's
just the standard kernel 2.6.8 or whatever.

> [1] and the X server is just another piece of (admittedly complex)
> software

Point taken. I still don't know if I want to jack with them or just cut
my losses on them. It is obviously an odd if not essoterric problem.
Since a basic optical PS2 scroll mouse can be gotten for less than
$10.00 if you catch a sale, I'm not very convinced that it is worth my
time or energy to try to solve this one. It's kind of one of those
picking-my-battles sort of deals, you know?

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
I'm not picking my nose.  I'm pulling things out of it.