Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 13:41:50 EST

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, michael hast wrote:

>> (and I suspect that it's the configuration of your software [1], not the
>> kernel version, that's the issue).
>
> All I know is that I cannot coax 2.6 to play nice with them, and it is not
> an issue with M$ or 2.4.

Could it be the PS/2 driver in 2.6 vs the PS/2 driver in 2.4? Dunno how one
changes that independently of the kernel. Or maybe it's xorg vs XFree86,
but I think you said you tried it outside of X with gpm. I'd say try PS/2
protocol (the scroll wheel won't work that way) to see how much of the
device you can make work.

>> If it's a roll-your-own kernel, make sure you have all the necessary
>> modules available.
>
> I'm not far enough along in my Jedi training to try that one yet. It's
> just the standard kernel 2.6.8 or whatever.

It's pretty easy, once you get a working starting point. I can give you one
for 2.6.15.1 . It greatly improves boot time.

>> [1] and the X server is just another piece of (admittedly complex)
>> software
>>
> Point taken. I still don't know if I want to jack with them or just cut my
> losses on them. It is obviously an odd if not essoterric problem. Since a
> basic optical PS2 scroll mouse can be gotten for less than $10.00 if you
> catch a sale, I'm not very convinced that it is worth my time or energy to
> try to solve this one. It's kind of one of those picking-my-battles sort
> of deals, you know?

Sure. You don't know if the necessary effort investment is more than the
replacement cost.

Have you googled <model_name (xorg.conf OR XF86Config)>?

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.