Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 00:31:44 EST

michael hast wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> It's pretty easy, once you get a working starting point. I can give
>> you one for 2.6.15.1 . It greatly improves boot time.
>>

> <snip>
>
> I think I may like to take you up on that. How will that complicate my
> configuration on my nvidia drivers? I'm having a hard enough time
> getting this thing installed even as it is. I know it's supposed to be
> simple, but I'm coming up with complications left and right. That's
> really why I don't want to screw with the mice right now. I'd like to
> focus on the dual-heads. Anyway, enough of that for now. Back to my
> configuring and stuff...

While I was offline for a while, I sent a message about this, but it
never got through. So I'll repeat the information here.

If you go to the NVidia site and look for the area where you can
download Linux drivers, you'll see their latest download. Download it
and run it per the instructions on that page:

sh name-of-download

It will check your system for various things, including kernel and X
source code. If it can't find what it wants, it will ask you if you want
it to download it and build stuff itself. Say yes, and it will download
and compile what it needs. At some point, it will ask you if you want it
to modify your X config file. Say yes (after you've saved a copy).

At that point, you're done. It's that simple. If you look carefully on
that site or on that page, you'll also see a link to the cards supported
by that driver.

I can't stress enough how simple this is. I've now done this about three
times on various boxes and various NVidia cards, and it went smoothly
every time. Bottom line: don't worry about your kernel and such. Just
build whatever you think you need for the kernel. And let NVidia worry
about the drivers afterward.

(BTW, there are cases where the native X NVidia drivers work okay as
well. I think the native X Nvidia driver appears as nv or nvidia. That
said, as with printers, I prefer the manufacturer's versions of drivers
and PPDs. My CUPS didn't work so well with the supplied HP 1320 PPD, so
I downloaded HP's. Much better.)

--
Paul M. Foster