Re: [SLUG] Local Linux Training

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 09:04:57 EST

<4405A4A7.7020206@ctrust.com>,
craig@ctrust.com wrote:
> Keith Lelacheur wrote:
>> Good Afternoon Sluggers,
>>
>> It seems that we have installed a VMWare server in the data center
and it's
>> base OS is linux (which distro I don't know). Since I am "The Linux
Guy"
>> around here and the two folks who hold dominion over the VMWare
server are
>> MS administrators, they asked me where they could go locallly to get
some
>> Linux courses. I tinker and play, but am by no stretch of the
imagination
>> an expert. I figured some slugger out there might have some
experience they
>> would be willing to share or have some insight that might help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Keith
>>

> If you're running ESX server, its red hat under the hood. At least
> according to the VMWare folk. I've been looking at ESX for a while
now,
> and will probably implement it in the near future. Very cool product

Actually, ESX server uses a custom developed boot loader/kernel that is
*nix like, but it's not linux or unix. The service console in ESX v2.x
is based on RH 7.2 in v3.x it will be based on RHEL 3.0.

You will want to get education on VMWare not linux to run ESX. ESX is
very different than it's "brethren" of GSX and Workstation.

As for general Linux education, there are serveral course providers in
the area for instructor led, however, I don't know of any that utilize
instructors with real-world experience. I would opt to go for a self
study based course to get the basics of linux/unix first then get the
specific training on a particular distribution. There are several free
courses on novell.com to get you started.