Re: [SLUG] Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 12:35:39 EST

> > Textfile-based configuration scripts? So far I haven't seen any
> > distribution holding its configuration in anything /other/ than text
> > files.
>
> ...as opposed to SuSE where you must use Yast to configure your system.
> If you
> open the config files in a text editor, they contain a warning that suseconfig
> will overwrite your changes and to use Yast for modifications.

That strikes me as user-friendly. SuSE provides Yast so that you have
the option of changing your configuration in a pointy-clicky manner,
while still making use of the text files and leaving them in place. I
interpret the warning in the text files as, "Careful: Yast will modify
this file, so you can configure it by hand, or use Yast, but not
both." Of course, it would be even more friendly if Yast would detect
if you've hand-modified the file and prompt you before overwriting it.
 Maybe someday.

--
Tcsh: Now with higher FPS!