Re: [SLUG] Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 13:53:33 EST

On 3/2/06, Levi Bard <taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well really it should be a shrine to slackware at the event as with out
> > slackware there would be no debian. Dislike for Patrick's package
> > decissions ( as it is my linux and I can put what ever I want or dont
> want
> > in slackware ) Cause Ian to start the debian project. Like most people
> they
> > started with Slackware and then decided they could do it better
> and some
> > say they did but I dont see how you can improve slackware. Redhat and
> > Debian are the two major distrobutions that were created because they
> > belived they could do it better than Patrick.
>
> Actually Debian and Slackware are both forks of SLS, started only
> about a month apart.

Slackware way predates SLS

Slackware started out way before debian as a series of customizations
before coming a distrobution. Also!!!! if you had use google groups to
search bak 10 years on usenet you would see the arguments between patrick
and ian about slackware and packages and ian starting his own distrobution
project. Google Groups are your friend please dont let debian zealots from
#Debian on irc.freenode.net tell you other wise.

1. Both are based on SLS
2. Slackware was first
3. Debian was born due to conflicts in how Patrick runs his camp ( his way
or the highway)
4. Ian starts the debian project with a radically more open stance on
packages.