Re: [SLUG] Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 15:58:32 EST

Richard Morgan wrote:
> Quoting Levi Bard <taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com>:
>
>> Textfile-based configuration scripts? So far I haven't seen any
>> distribution holding its configuration in anything /other/ than text
>> files.
>

> ...as opposed to SuSE where you must use Yast to configure your system.
> If you
> open the config files in a text editor, they contain a warning that
> suseconfig
> will overwrite your changes and to use Yast for modifications.

I have to agree here. This is one of the primary reasons I don't use
SuSE. It cannot possibly be that hard to detect hand-made changes to
config files, and have YaST compensate. And yet, SuSE has never
implemented such a system.

When I recently gave my 72-year-old mom a Linux computer, the first
computer she's ever touched, I had an eye-opening experience regarding
user-friendliness. Imagine trying to explain "cursor", "slide-bar",
"dialog box" and the like to someone who's never touched a computer and
who is technophobic.

Moreover, I recently installed Windows XP on one of my computers for the
first time. Getting that machine to act the right way was a several day
ordeal, just because Microsoft has put important configuration options
so far down, under and behind other things, they're hard to find.

After these experiences, it's clear to me that both Linux and Microsoft
have a long way to go to make computers "user-friendly". That said,
though, I have to agree with Richard that people like us who know how to
hack config files should be able to do so without impediments.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster