Re: [SLUG] Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 19:11:18 EST

On 3/3/06, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

> Robert Snyder wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > But the core problem that people have with slackware is that it is
> > controlled by one man ( Patrick ) and Ian just did not like the way
> > Patrick ran the distro. Hence why Slackware is still very much a closed
> > nit operation and why debian is the complete oposite with community
> > controlled distrobution.
>
> I couldn't care less if one guy controls it, as long as I agree with the
> guy. My problems with Slack are 1) it's based on BSD instead of System V
> (making it difficult to alter the init sequence when adding or
> subtracting packages), and 2) it has what is commonly considered *no*
> [official] package management infrastructure, compared to RH, SuSE and
> Debian. (Tarballs don't really count as package management.)
>
> No offense to those who like Slackware. The pool's big enough for
> everyone. Those are just *my* beefs.

There is a package management. it called pkgtools Deb files are tarballs
with .deb on them. .deb files rpm files and slackware tgz all share similar
structions

You files inside each one of the packages be in rpm , debian, slackware
tarball lay our the files from the standpoint of /
Each have a file giving a discription of the package
Each has a way to run commands aka script while installing said package
Slackware even has dependency checking if you write it into the file what
packages it depends on.

What slackware does not have is a reliable tool to download packages from
respositories and handle the depencies. Personally Patrick should just port
apt. and no slapt-get is not a slackware port of apt just something like
apt.

just for those that think there are no tools for slackware here are the
default slackware package tools

pkgtools - can do it all upgrade install remove other
installpkg
removepkg
upgradepkg
these other 3 are pretty self explanitiory.

I expect to see either slapt-get or even a apt port hit slackware by version
11.1