Re: [SLUG] Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 17:33:53 EST

Robert Snyder wrote:

<snip>

> But the core problem that people have with slackware is that it is
> controlled by one man ( Patrick ) and Ian just did not like the way
> Patrick ran the distro. Hence why Slackware is still very much a closed
> nit operation and why debian is the complete oposite with community
> controlled distrobution.

I couldn't care less if one guy controls it, as long as I agree with the
guy. My problems with Slack are 1) it's based on BSD instead of System V
(making it difficult to alter the init sequence when adding or
subtracting packages), and 2) it has what is commonly considered *no*
[official] package management infrastructure, compared to RH, SuSE and
Debian. (Tarballs don't really count as package management.)

No offense to those who like Slackware. The pool's big enough for
everyone. Those are just *my* beefs.

--
Paul M. Foster