Re: [SLUG] Slackware myths dispelled, was Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Richard Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 11:22:17 EST

Quoting Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>:

> My problems with Slack are 1) it's based on BSD instead of System V
> (making it difficult to alter the init sequence when adding or
> subtracting packages),

Slackware aims to be the most "Unix-like" distro, but it's not based on
BSD. It
uses BSD-style init scripts instead of SysV init directories (which you can
still use, if you want. Slackware has a sysvinit script that will look for
those directories, if present).

If you don't like the way slackware boots, you can change it easily. The
/etc/rc.d directory contains runlevel scripts. Edit those scripts if you want
to alter the boot process. You can also edit the rc.whatever system function
scritps. chmod +x makes them bootable, etc... rc.local is for you to add
whatever you'd like to run every boot.

> and 2) it has what is commonly considered *no* [official] package
> management infrastructure, compared to RH, SuSE and Debian. (Tarballs
> don't really count as package management.)

That's completely not true. Every official software package that is on the
install CD or on Slackware's FTP wesbite is in Slackware's package
format. And, Slackware packages are not *just* tarballs. Sure, the
package is
compressed and bundled with that format, but it's a valid package with special
tools. Just because the package format isn't like RPM doesn't make it less a
format. It's just different, and IMHO easier.

> No offense to those who like Slackware. The pool's big enough for
> everyone. Those are just *my* beefs.

Right, I agree. I like Debian and would probably use that on my desktop if
Slackware were to disappear.

I think the simple and pure nature of Slackware throws people off...
especially
in this age of GUI-everything and 8GB of software with circular dependencies.