Re: [SLUG] Slackware myths dispelled, was Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Richard Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 11:35:54 EST

Quoting Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>:

> But I should have been more clear. "Package management" as I define
> it must include dependency checking and control. Slackware tarballs
> do not routinely include this information, though you could probably
> code it into the installation script contained in the tarball.
> Patrick does not do this, and he is the primary originator of
> packages for Slackware.

This isn't a problem for Slackware packages because the packages themselves
usually contain all the libraries and support files that the package
needs. If
you've never created a Slackware package before the process is: download the
source, compile, make with a target directory pointing to a temp package
directory which "installs" everything with the correct structure to this temp
package directory. When the package is then created, everything the package
needs is bundled along with the slackdesc file.

Slackware's package mantainers are very good to include any libraries
that your
software may need since having unresolved library dependencies sucks. I guess
this is the main difference between everything else and TGZ's. It's not much
of a "package" if it doesn't contain everything it needs, is it? Kind of like
buying a car but having to make separate trips to the tire store, seat store,
windshield store... common components for a car, but they are usually
*packaged* together. (what a concept!)