Re: [SLUG] Slackware myths dispelled, was Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 12:17:58 EST

Levi Bard wrote:
>> This isn't a problem for Slackware packages because the packages themselves
>> usually contain all the libraries and support files that the package
>> needs. If
>> you've never created a Slackware package before the process is: download the
>> source, compile, make with a target directory pointing to a temp package
>> directory which "installs" everything with the correct structure to this temp
>> package directory. When the package is then created, everything the package
>> needs is bundled along with the slackdesc file.
>>

> What? You mean a copy of Gtk+ is included with every gtk app?!

No, I should know as I maintain a number of slackware packages.
There is away to doing it as in a package would contain everything it
needed but it is uncommon as it would then cause more issues than not.

I simply ahear to a depencies file in the tgz it a allows some one to
see the dependencies and b it will check for them in pkgtools. there
are some issues with slackware dependency checking like all package
managemanet systems If you do not install xyz lib via the a package
then the package management system has no idea xyz lib is installed

Why slackware has very few dependency issuses is simple slackware takes
approx 3 gigs of space and that is a full install it gives you a nice
desktop with a alot of apps. Mandrake for example full install is like
8 last time I installed it. The key here is that slackware 3gb install
is more forces on dependencies and not every little app ever known to
man kind. So basically with slackware you get a kde desktop all the
normal tools you would suspect plus even know lib and what ever else
framework that is needed to make almost any program run. Again the
only dependencies i ran into lately have been some gnome specfic ones
that I simply installed free rock gnome slackware packages to fix...
Example glade and orbit and a few other libs.