Re: [SLUG] Slackware myths dispelled, was Premier TBAD Mtg. ANNOUNCEMENT

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 18:43:47 EST

Jason Boxman wrote:
> Robert Snyder said:
>
>> On 3/6/06, Jason Boxman <jasonb@edseek.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Richard Morgan said:
>>> <snip>

>>> Slack

>>> And this exposes the largest problem I have with a one-man-show. :)
>>>
>> Patricks biggest gripe was the problem of having to go back and clean up all
>> of buggy gnome code. if there is a army of programmers like at Debian it
>> would not be such an issue. I always thought the biggest problem was
>> patrick kicking the bucket as that would mean no more slackware.
>>

> Interestingly, the biggest complain I hear from KDE packagers for Debian is
> how miserably monolothic each package is. So, while you can install the
> 'konqueror' package, know that a bunch of developer hours were chewed to rip
> that application out of KDE's 'kdebase' and make it sane and FHS happy. The
> GNOME stuff is, from what I've heard, far easier to package.
>
> It could be Patrick just doesn't like GNOME. *shrug*

Well there is a difference between MONOLITHIC and full of bugs

Pat did not have an issue with gnome being monolithic just full of bugs.
that usually had to be fix for him to be satsified with putting it into
slackware. He always submitted patches to the gnome group and felt
that he was doing there job.... so off with gnome he said .