Re: [SLUG] Linux Certification

From: Robert Waldo (rjw6844@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 19:22:45 EST

Novell stock down after revenue decline By Stephen
Shankland,<stephen.shankland@cnet.com>CNET
News.com
Published on ZDNet news: <http://news.zdnet.com/2001-1_22.html> March 3,
2006, 8:14 AM PT

   -

<http://news.zdnet.com/2038-3513_22-0-company.html?id=10527&name=Intl+Business+Machines+Corp+>
*Novell's stock dropped 16 percent in morning trading Friday after the
server software company reported its revenue declined 5 percent in its most
recent quarter. *

 The Waltham, Mass.-based company on Thursday reported that revenue dropped
to $274 million in the quarter ended Jan. 31, down from $290 million the
year earlier. Net income was $2 million, or break-even in terms of cents per
share, using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. With non-GAAP
accounting, net income was $18 million, or 4 cents per share.

Novell shares dropped $1.49, or 16 percent, to $8.04 in morning trading.

Financial results indicate that Novell is losing market share to top Linux
seller Red Hat, said First Albany analyst Mark Murphy. At the same time,
Novell's older NetWare business is declining. He downgraded the stock from
"neutral" to "underperform."

"Novell's Linux revenue increased 22 percent year over year to $10.4
million. Red Hat's revenue grew 44 percent year over year to $73 million in
its most recent quarter. This indicates Red Hat is roughly seven times
larger and growing twice as fast," Murphy said in a report Friday.
"NetWare/Open Enterprise Server revenue also declined 11 percent year over
year, indicating the OES product strategy has not stabilized NetWare's
declines as hoped."

Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Jason Maynard was less pessimistic. "We
continue to believe that the Linux market opportunity is robust, and that
Novell should eventually make some progress in growing its Linux business.

The worst item in the quarter was the "disappointing" performance of
Novell's Celerant consulting business, which the company is trying to spin
off.

The company predicted revenue for the second quarter of fiscal 2006 to range
between $272 million and $282 million and non-GAAP earnings per share of 2
cents to 3 cents. That's a notch below the average analyst estimate of $284
million and 4 cents per share, Maynard said.