Re: [SLUG] dual-heads/xinerama

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 00:03:14 EST

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, michael hast wrote:

> Does anyone know of any really good online tutorials that will walk me
> through setting up the dual-head display and xinerama? The configuration
> file doesn't look all that daunting, and the syntax is simple enough, but
> I'm scared of crashing X again.

When you get to a working state, cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.bkup . (Now is a working state.) Then if you hose X,
just move it back. Make sure X doesn't start automatically. Not running
"startx" is easier than fumbling with /etc/init.d/[gkx]dm.

> How do I determine the bus ID for my AGP slot,

lspci | grep VGA

> and what is the proper syntax according to X,

I don't have one (a line like that, not an AGP card), but:

man xorg.conf
/busid

You might not need one; that's easier, so I'd try that first.

> and how do I tell it the difference between the two ports on the card?

No idea. Top=monitor 0, bottom=monitor 1? RTFM; maybe it says there.

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.