Re: [SLUG] RH vs Novell was Linux Certification

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 08:01:22 EST

<200603061922.28937.steve@szmidt.org>, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org>
wrote:

> On Monday 06 March 2006 17:15, John Pugh wrote:
>> > That's sales talk too. RH is WAY ahead in installations.
>>
>> Sales talk, yes. That's my job.
>> Being way ahead and staying way ahead are two very different
points.

> Hehe, it would take SuSE years to get close. EXCEPT for the European
market.

> That's where their main growth is.
Europe is where SUSE remains the strongest. You need to understand
where RH get's most of their sales from...it's thru OEM partners like
Dell who accounts for the bulk of their business. That is changing and
while it doesn't happen overnight, it will turn.

>> Being a public forum, I'll spare the chit- chat, but will point out
that
>> while most large, technically savvy organizations will not divulge
their
>> technology there are MANY that are moving away from RH to SUSE. The
ones
>> without a linux strategy where RH and SUSE are compared have all
gone

> "Have all gone", is a generality and simply not true.
Ok..believe what you wish. I continue to work with a large number of
CIO's in the Southeast's Fortune 1000 companies and have not lost to RH
yet.

>> with SUSE Linux. Read into it as you wish. The technology is very
>> similiar - the ecosystem around it is VERY different.
>
> Quite true.
>
> However, 63% of the companies that moved to SuSE have return to RH
after six
> to twelve months, siting too many incompatibilities where Novell is
not
> being included in updates due to their configuration standards.

Interesting statement...back it up. SUSE subscription renewals speak
for themselves.

Great banter, but let's get back to helping fellow SLUG'ers.