Re: [SLUG] RH vs Novell was Linux Certification

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 18:46:18 EST

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 14:12, Richard Morgan wrote:
> Quoting steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org>:
> > Unless they decide to lie down and die, Novell is still likely to
> > be chasing RH for years to come.
>
> The one thing that Novell has going for it that RH doesn't is the already
> huge name that Novell has for itself. Remember NetWare and the networking
> technologies it pioneered? Novell has inroads with companies that RH would

Hehe, when I strated we used to have to link the drivers for each NIC before
it was usable. Yeah I remember. Still a bunch of people using it too.

> kill to have. Novell isn't fresh to the business Operating System scene
> and the company name is worth more, IMHO. Red Hat is seen by some large
> companies as the young start-up that has done really, really well for
> itself.
>
> I happen to know of a large regional company that uses Novell SuSE
> Enterprise servers exclusively in an important business area and is
> piloting it on a few desktops. The #1 factor that they went with Novell
> was support.

We'll see. Novell has seemingly realized the difficulty ahead of it and is
investing heavily into their distro as a way to stay alive. And I just read
about how they signed with Australia government as the first Linux distro to
be on their approved supplier list.

I don't know how they stayed alive for all these years, support must have been
waay down, never mind sales. Power to them!

When Novell wins we all win. The one thing I don't want is for Linux to become
like a new windows as far as look and feel. Which I don't think the KDE team
is too eager for either so it should work out. Gnome fits the corp mentality
of limited options on the desktop.

I follow SuSE as well as RH and I just don't like all configs in one file. It
does not integrate in my idea of simplicity or my shell automation. But if
YAST covers all your needs it's definitely easy to use.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.