Re: [SLUG] RH vs Novell was Linux Certification

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 20:05:15 EST

<200603081343.51738.steve@szmidt.org>, steve@szmidt.org wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 08:01, John Pugh wrote:
>
>> Ok..believe what you wish. I continue to work with a large number
of
>> CIO's in the Southeast's Fortune 1000 companies and have not lost to
RH
>> yet.
>
> OK, what's a large number? Fifty would be a big number for anyone to
talk
> to.
Since taking the role I'm in now I've met with roughly 75 of the ~150
in the SE.

> Plus many companies try both. Then you have those who switch back but
does
> not tell you. As I think you noted, companies don't really like
sharing their
> setup with outsiders. But they do like covering their butts.
Good point, however usually these companies would not renew their
subscription.

>> > However, 63% of the companies that moved to SuSE have return to
RH
>> > after six to twelve months, siting too many incompatibilities
where Novell is

>> Interesting statement...back it up. SUSE subscription renewals
speak
>> for themselves.
>
> Nah, they don't and that's the point. Your subscriptions are your
> subscriptions. That's all. Does not say you have so many customers
and the
> other ones have so many customers. What it does say you are doing
well,
> don't
> change, keep it up!
>
> As far as the numbers goes I decided to "raise and call" your "cards"
since
> I've never really heard of you before and the statements feel too
salesman
> like. The number was out of my behind, but not the observations of
client
> complaints and actions.
Raise and call? What if I wanted to raise again?
There's no reason you would have heard of me and my comments could be
construed as "salesman like" since I do work for Novell sales. However,
I'm not one to beat around the bush.

> Specifically they have problems when developers don't support SuSE as
well
> with their products as they do RH. Patches for example were not
coming out
> for various products as quickly for SuSE because of the different
setups.
That too is changing rapidly. I won't mention names publicly, but there
are a number of highly visible ISV's that are changing their dev
strategy on this front.

> Every time I've tried SuSE I end up dropping it due to the "against
the
> grain" configuration setup of Novell. Windows users obviously love
YAST, I don't.
> It's not intelligent enough to allow me to make my own changes and
recognize
> it. Many people I speek to find those big reasons not to use SuSE.
Yep. I don't care for that either, but those that use Linux don't rely
on the graphical tools to manage Linux, either. YaST is named yet
another setup tool for just that reason.

I could write a few pages on pros/cons of various distributions, but
that's not the point. Linux is Linux, each distro has it's sweet spots
and it's problems. I used RH until I was turned onto SUSE Linux 5.0 and
I've never turned back. I've run a good number of distributions and am
now biased towards SUSE for my own reasons.

> Novell has been good for SuSE, no doubt.
>
> You talking to companies that switch is just that. It does not mean
everyone
> else is switching who is not talking to you. You will obviously, with
a good
> product, have success. But the install numbers are very warped to
RH's
> advantage. Unless they decide to lie down and die, Novell is still
likely to
> be chasing RH for years to come.
According to IDC Worldwide Linux Operating Environments 2005 published
in December 2005, Novell's SUSE Linux shipments are 35% vs RH's 46% and
the "other" category taking 19%. Not sure where the "warpage" is
anymore.

> (Since email's don't portrays emotions very well I want you to know
that
> this is not an emotional argument. No hard feelings or anything. I
just find the
> statements a bit too wild.)
>
> By the way, we are not clogging up the list or stopping someone else
from
> getting help. It's a multi threading list : )
Good...I always worry about how others reflect their emotion into
reading an emotionless email. I enjoy the banter myself, but others may
not and I don't want to create any animosity