Re: [SLUG] Primary Domain Controller on a Samba / MS network = ?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 17:06:33 EST

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, SOTL wrote:

> I have a small network that has 3 MS boxes and 1 Linux boxes fully networked.
>
> I am in the process of attempting to set up 2 additional Linux boxes with
> OpenSuSE 10.1 which of course is kind of problamatic since 10.1 is out only
> as Beta 6.but most things are fully operational including Samba.
>
> Not being fully conversant in Samba and Windows networking is leading to
> certain difficulties. Not knowing how 2 of the MS boxes are setup is another
> issue which I usually avoid by shutting them down but there times when that
> is not convenient to do so.
>
> That leads to my question.
>
> MUST one have a primary domain controller?

I don't think so. I think the members/servers on the LAN will negotiate to
find out who's the DC. But then, ICBW...

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.