Re: [SLUG] Primary Domain Controller on a Samba / MS network = ?

From: Craig Zeigler (craig@ctrust.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 08:29:35 EST

Eben King wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, SOTL wrote:
>
>> I have a small network that has 3 MS boxes and 1 Linux boxes fully
>> networked.
>>
>> I am in the process of attempting to set up 2 additional Linux boxes
>> with
>> OpenSuSE 10.1 which of course is kind of problamatic since 10.1 is
>> out only
>> as Beta 6.but most things are fully operational including Samba.
>>
>> Not being fully conversant in Samba and Windows networking is leading to
>> certain difficulties. Not knowing how 2 of the MS boxes are setup is
>> another
>> issue which I usually avoid by shutting them down but there times
>> when that
>> is not convenient to do so.
>>
>> That leads to my question.
>>
>> MUST one have a primary domain controller?
>
> I don't think so. I think the members/servers on the LAN will
> negotiate to find out who's the DC. But then, ICBW...

It all depends on the OS. If you are still using NT4, then yes. You must
have a PDC, and the rest are BDCs. If it is a Win2k+ domain, then no,
the PDC/BDC relationship no longer applies. The systems are simply
called Domain Controllers. Samba still recognizes the PDC/BDC
relationship, and sticks to that. As long as the Win2k+ domain is NOT in
Native mode, you can simply join the Samba DC with the others. You just
uncomment/add the lines in you config that points it to an
authentication server. There are several Samba docs that tell you how to
do this.

Wow, maybe that $8,000 worth of training *was* worth something...

-Craig 'My god I spent too much' Zeigler