Re: [SLUG] New "Super Fast" filesystem from IBM

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 12:08:30 EST

Well, here it is:

GPFS for Linux® provides similar capabilities to IBM Linux clusters as its AIX
5L counterpart provides to pSeries clusters. The GPFS for Linux on
Multiplatform product runs on the IBM eServer Cluster 1350 as well as Linux
clusters based on selected IBM eServer xSeries® rack-optimized servers,
select IBM eServer BladeCenter servers, or select IBM eServer AMD
processor-based servers. The GPFS for Linux on POWER™ product runs on select
pSeries, eServer p5 nodes, BladeCenter servers and IBM eServer OpenPower™
servers.

and

The restriction on the ability to mount GPFS file systems that belong to other
GPFS clusters has been lifted.
This function, with GPFS APARs IY64709 and IY66584 (see the question, How do I
download fixes for GPFS?), is now supported for production use on any
combination of the following:
        GPFS for AIX 5L on POWER
GPFS for Linux on xSeries servers or eServer AMD processor-based servers with:
        SUSE LINUX ES 8.
        SUSE LINUX ES 9, including SP1

GPFS for Linux on POWER with:
        SUSE LINUX ES 8. Please see the question Are there any security
considerations for my GPFS cluster?
        SUSE LINUX ES 9, including SP1

and

The prices for GPFS for AIX 5L, GPFS for Linux on POWER, and GPFS for Linux on
Multiplatform are based on the number of processors active on the server
where GPFS is installed. For further information, please contact your IBM
Marketing Representative. For a directory of worldwide contact, see
www.ibm.com/planetwide/index.html

It's supported on their eServers, AMD and Power platforms.

So let's run out and get a couple of Power processor machines and install
this. Who's paying?

IBM tend to have many different price plans. We might qualify for educational
if we form a group to teach this amongst us. I'll volunteer to host the
servers! : )

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke