Re: [SLUG] WEP key generator.

From: Richard Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 10:19:47 EST

Quoting Bob Foxworth <rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com>:

> Lee, who is a "policy analyst at the Show-Me Institute, a non-partisan
> research organization", and a "regular contributor to the Technology
> Liberation Front web-site" [that explains a lot] argues, in a 3-column
> half page, above the fold essay, why it is "O.K. to borrow someone's
> wireless network" along with some anecdotes of how it worked for
> him. It should be in your neighborhood library, if you're interested.

Didn't a local Florida resident get busted for "borrowing" someone's WLAN
connection last year? I distinctly remember that being in the news...
I think
he was sitting outside their house with his laptop.

Yep, after a Google search, I found this:

"Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 5:32pm
What do you guys think? The days of being a pirate of the airwaves coming to a
close? Either that and he shouldn't have been so obvious.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&am...ft_1

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Police have arrested a man for using someone else's
wireless Internet network in one of the first criminal cases involving this
fairly common practice.

Benjamin Smith III, 41, faces a pretrial hearing this month following
his April
arrest on charges of unauthorized access to a computer network, a third-degree
felony.

Police say Smith admitted using the Wi-Fi signal from the home of
Richard Dinon,
who had noticed Smith sitting in an SUV outside Dinon's house using a laptop
computer."

You can see the google cache of the article here:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:0zTApxLmcTQJ:www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/17077+florida+resident+busted+for+using+someone+else%27s+wireless+network&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1