Re: [SLUG] WEP key generator.

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 14:09:28 EST

<200603161120.02679.steve@szmidt.org>, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org>
wrote:

> On Thursday 16 March 2006 10:19, Richard Morgan wrote:
>
>> Police say Smith admitted using the Wi- Fi signal from the home of
>> Richard Dinon, who had noticed Smith sitting in an SUV outside
Dinon's house
>> using a laptop computer."
>
> That seems very dumb. I mean if you got a SUV and a laptop then you
probably

> have a home and internet connection too. Which means he either had
nefarious

> intent which is dumb, or was just plain dumb.
>
> Probably he was trying to hack him, or more likely someone else, via
his
> connection.
>
> The funny thing is that being a criminal and be good enough to not
get
> caught
> means your character leaves a lot to be desired. Which means your
life will
> suck. And it's a lot of hard work, with downsides that are far worse
than
> loosing your job. The payoffs are not worth all the pain and
suffering.

> So you got to be dumb to pursue that line...

What's even more funny is you have to be stupid to be a criminal. Have
you ever heard of a "smart" criminal? Exactly.

FWIW...It is a waste of time to put a wep key on a AP. I have had more
than one challenge from people who say I couldn't get onto their
wireless and were amazed that in most cases I'm on in a minute or two
provided they have some traffic originating from their network.

Everyone needs to think ahead on these issues. Eliminate WEP/WPA and
put the security at the end-point. With the majority of the OS use out
there today end-point security is practically impossible, but with the
future OS use, it will be easily possible.

My AP is wide open...you are welcome to use my bandwidth, but then
again do you really know what you are using? It's my bandwidth, I pay
for it and if you are inside my bandwidth you are open to anything I
wish to do! Enjoy!