Re: [SLUG] OT: Using your IT skills for good or evil

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 15:30:31 EST

On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:11, Richard Morgan wrote:
> <rant>
> The most recent example in the news:
>
> "There's already a tarnish on the gold medal won by Australian mogul skier
> Dale Begg-Smith at the Olympics in Turin this week.

> I see people like this and I have to admit that it pisses me off that I
> bust my tail to work waaay over 40 hours a week for just a fraction of what
> this guy made.

On one side I'd admire anyone who can make a goodliving for him and his
family. If then helps the community back even better!

Of course, this guy has at least a huge flaw in his ethics level to put all
these people at risk. For what? Just lining his pocket! THAT combo is what
would make me help others on a sinking ship before I'd help him.

> That's not to mention all of the other stories of porn website owners,
> spammers and the like who make MILLIONS upon MILLIONS... Dammit, why? Why
> do people who use their IT skills for evil make so much freakin' money?

Plain low moral standards. Welcome to planet Earth, with lots of extremes! The
one thing I've discoverd with these characters is that they are seldom happy.
They put up a facade, but inside their lives are quite lonely and miserable.

I never met a single "half" criminal who was truly happy. And I met a lot of
them in Hollywood/Bevery Hills. Because of working on networks I get to deal
with lots of personal stuff. These guys where only too happy to have someone
to talk to.

Indeed I was face to face with a cop killer, on the run from the cops just
minutes earlier, who threatened me with a knife, unless I let him see his
girl friend, who did not at all live in my place, but he was too ignorant to
tell I think, and he was not happy either! : ) So there!

Actually I got him drunk later and he seemed happy for a while... : ) Funny
story too, but too OT for here. Point being that happiness can be gotten but
never for long time if it is at the price of your integrity.

> The only time they get busted is when they really cross the line and do
> something idiotic. But, otherwise they're always skirting the edge of
> legality making millions of dollars.
>
> I'm not saying that it's not 100% morally wrong to be a pr0n king or a
> low-life spammer, but I just wish it didn't pay so dang much.

Haha, yep. In Hollywood I once had a customer who had no problems in paying my
boss $650/hr for me to go out there and fix some network issues.

As I'm sitting there waiting for the computer I'm looking around. I'm in a
room filled with rack mounted VCR's. Very fancy offices. Looking down next to
me was a big bundle of copies of a magazine. Looking closer revealed they had
pictures of men making out. <shudder!>

When I was done I saw the owner there and told him that we would not be able
to continue servicing them. He smiled and said yeah he was used to it and
understood.

My boss said nothing when I told him (I ran the tech division) what happend.
I'm sure he knew though. Which is probably why the high rate. (I'd like to
pretend that was a normal rate for work I did, but that would be a short
lived happiness. : )

> Oh well, back to work for me... </rant>
Oh, end of rant time...

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.