[SLUG] OT: Using your IT skills for good or evil

From: Richard Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 12:11:32 EST

<rant>
The most recent example in the news:

"There's already a tarnish on the gold medal won by Australian mogul skier Dale
Begg-Smith at the Olympics in Turin this week.

While the 21-year-old Begg-Smith may not have been involved in doping or
cheating on the slopes, the way he richly supported himself while training was
incredibly unsportsmanlike and probably illegal: Begg-Smith was a key player in
a company that infected other peoples' computers with adware a.k.a. spyware.

Canadian-born Begg-Smith reportedly is president of AdsCPM Network (a.k.a. CPM
Media Inc.), a firm notorious for using "driveby downloads," security exploits,
and other cheap tricks to install spyware (including keyloggers and browser
hijackers) on unsuspecting Internet users' computers.

Begg-Smith's business apparently enabled him to drive a Lamborghini..."

http://spamkings.oreilly.com/archives/2006/02/asterisk_on_popup_moguls_gold.html

So this guy was an Olympic Gold Medalist, very wealthy, had nice cars, nice
clothes and a lifestyle that enabled him to ski all the time.

I see people like this and I have to admit that it pisses me off that I bust my
tail to work waaay over 40 hours a week for just a fraction of what this guy
made.

That's not to mention all of the other stories of porn website owners, spammers
and the like who make MILLIONS upon MILLIONS... Dammit, why? Why do people
who use their IT skills for evil make so much freakin' money? The only time
they get busted is when they really cross the line and do something idiotic.
But, otherwise they're always skirting the edge of legality making millions of
dollars.

I'm not saying that it's not 100% morally wrong to be a pr0n king or a low-life
spammer, but I just wish it didn't pay so dang much.

Oh well, back to work for me... </rant>