Re: [SLUG] Firefox extension issues

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 20:13:25 EST

On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:10, Eben King wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> > Anybody know how do I resolve this or where I should go?
> >
> > [user@baglady .mozilla]$ firefox -safe-mode
> > *** Failed to load overlay chrome://flst/content/flst.xul
> > UA: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050922
> > Fedora/1.0.7-1.1.fc3 Firefox/1.0.7:, extra: Firefox/1.0.7
> >
> > Last I did, I removed the FLST extension and restarted FF and this is
> > what I got. I can't seem to find any current information. Also,
> > "safe-mode" doesn't work. Ouch! I'm thinking of upgrading to 1.5 to
> > attempt the new and improved safe-mode, but I don't want to introduce
> > more problems into the mix. I emailed the author of FLST, but he hasn't
> > gotten back to me, and it's been four days.
>
> On this machine (Ubuntu 5.10, FF *spit* 1.0) there's a dir
> /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/ . Since I have no plugins it's empty.
> Poke around in there and see what you see.
>
> There's also ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat . "locate plug | grep fire"
> may turn up some useful stuff too.
>
> Note: It is possible changing things like that behind FF's back (after a
> fashion) will make things inconsistent. But in that case, you're no worse
> off than you are now. And besides, if you mv things rather than rm them,
> you can always put them back. Just in case, you might want to back up the
> /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox tree.
>
> ObRant: We hatess laggy SSH connections, yes we do.

Mmmm I was referring to extensions not plugins. I don't believe plugins will
help me in my quest. Perhaps I am wrong. Poking around in FF's cryptic
resources could be disastrous for a novice like me. I can troubleshoot and
experiment just fine. That's something I don't want to muck with just yet
until I get a firm grasp on how the Gecko engine works. Thanks just the same
though. FF is quite confusing to me. In fact, I wonder if a sendmail
configuration file is any worse :(

/mario