Re: [SLUG] Firefox extension issues

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 21:54:20 EST

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:10, Eben King wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Mario Lombardo wrote:
>>> Anybody know how do I resolve this or where I should go?
>>>
>>> [user@baglady .mozilla]$ firefox -safe-mode
>>> *** Failed to load overlay chrome://flst/content/flst.xul
>>> UA: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050922
>>> Fedora/1.0.7-1.1.fc3 Firefox/1.0.7:, extra: Firefox/1.0.7
>>>
>>> Last I did, I removed the FLST extension and restarted FF and this is
>>> what I got. I can't seem to find any current information. Also,
>>> "safe-mode" doesn't work. Ouch! I'm thinking of upgrading to 1.5 to
>>> attempt the new and improved safe-mode, but I don't want to introduce
>>> more problems into the mix. I emailed the author of FLST, but he hasn't
>>> gotten back to me, and it's been four days.

[plugin stuff]

> Mmmm I was referring to extensions not plugins.

Drat, mea culpa. Too many names for similar concepts. Then you might want
to look at /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/extensions/ .
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/extensions/Extensions.rdf is text, maybe it's
useful. Check out "locate exten | grep fire | grep usr". Really I'm
grasping at straws; I haven't played with FF's internals. You might also
look "grep FLST ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/extensions/*/install.js" to
get the nasty long number FF uses to refer to stuff internally, then try
moving or renaming ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/extensions/(that dir).

> I don't believe plugins will help me in my quest.

Probably not.

> Poking around in FF's cryptic resources could be disastrous for a novice
> like me.

In the short term, but if you back stuff up you can put it back if it acts
badly.

CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...
but you know they're lying.  If I were you, I'd lock my doors and
windows and never never never never leave my house again.  -- Weird Al