Re: [SLUG] megaraid driver disk to install CentOS4.3

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2006 - 12:33:19 EST

> The one thing which usually does not happen is that support goes away, unless
> it was not really possible due to poor firmware in the hardware, making
> support too hard.

Steve,
I'm pretty sure support has been dropped. From
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/es-x86/
The kernel shipped with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 includes the new megaraid_mbox
driver from LSI Logic, which replaces the megaraid driver. The megaraid_mbox driver
has an improved design, is compatible with the 2.6 kernel, and includes support for
the latest hardware. However, megaraid_mbox does not support some of the older
hardware that was supported by the megaraid driver.

Adapters with the following PCI vendor ID and device ID pairs are not supported by
the megaraid_mbox driver:

vendor, device

0x101E, 0x9010
0x101E, 0x9060
0x8086, 0x1960

The lspci -n command can be used to display the IDs for adapters installed in a
particular machine. Products with these IDs are known by (but not limited to) the
following model names:

    *

      Dell PERC (dual-channel fast/wide SCSI) RAID controller
    *

      Dell PERC2/SC (single-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller
    *

      Dell PERC2/DC (dual-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller
    *

      Dell CERC (four-channel ATA/100) RAID controller
    *

      MegaRAID 428
    *

      MegaRAID 466
    *

      MegaRAID Express 500
    *

      HP NetRAID 3Si and 1M

Both Dell and LSI Logic have indicated that they no longer support these models in
the 2.6 kernel. As a result, these adapters are not supported in Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4.

I'm willing to compile the kernel, and I've done it before... I'm just noit sure how
to compile the module. Once the module is compiled, I assume I can put it on a
floppy, and use it to install. I'm not sure how to re-compile a kernel, and use a
floppy to provide a module, though...

Doug