Re: [SLUG] megaraid driver disk to install CentOS4.3

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 10:35:32 EST

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

>> Also, if I compile this module into the kernel, what would happen if I
>> used yum or up2date to update the kernel? I don't think the system would
>> boot... Maybe I can compile the kernel with the megaraid module as a
>> loadable module? Not sure, any help would be appreciated.
> Hrm, this might get long, but I think in this case it is better to be
> complete. As to the question of a loadable module or building it
> directly into the kernel, I would recommend building it as a loadable
> module if you can get away with it. That way you are still running
> the CentOS kernel which is tested for your distribution and all that
> jazz, not running your own kernel build which might possibly introduce
> some irregularities that were not tested for in QA.

FWIW, I've compiled my own kernel from vanilla source for the last maybe 10
years, on 5+ different machines, and haven't had a problem yet.

> You'd like to change as little as possible, and introducing a single
> loadable module is the best thing for that.

I'd say, use a loadable module so that if it needs to be reloaded, you can
rmmod / modprobe it; easier than rebooting.

> The reason you might not be able to work with a loadable module, however,
> is that this driver is a SCSI driver. If you need to read from a SCSI
> device to load the SCSI driver... well, good luck :). It'd be like me
> needing to read a book in Chinese to learn how to read Chinese.

Uh yeah. :-) HD drivers, root filesystem, etc. have to be built-in, not
modularized.

> Do you know if you boot process uses an initrd (initial ramdisk)? If
> not, you should probably start.

Also FWIW, I've never used one. If I had a modular-only driver for my boot
hardware, I would act differently.

> Sorry for rambling, but I hope this has answered your current questions
> (and a number of followup ones). To recap, the best thing to try is to
> build the loadable module for the same 2.6 version you want to run,

Yeah. Generally it has to be compiled against the kernel version you (will)
run.

A. A Top Poster                        \   http://www.fscked.co.uk/
B. Who's there?                         \   writing/
A. Knock-knock -- from bobward@xxx.com   \   top-posting-cuss.html