Re: [SLUG] megaraid driver disk to install CentOS4.3

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 12:41:17 EST

> Sorry for rambling, but I hope this has answered your current
> questions (and a number of followup ones).

Daniel & Eben,

Ramble on :) Thanks for the help, I have a better understanding of what needs to
happen. I'll read up on initrd, and see if I can get GRUB to use it.

I'm not sure how this all works, though... The system needs to have the module
loaded to access the drive, yet it needs to access the drive to load the module.
Regardless of whether the module is built into the kernel, or loaded dynamically,
it's still on the drive, which can't be accessed until the module or kernel is
loaded... Even if initrd puts the module in memory, wouldn't it have to access the
drive to get the module? Maybe there is some magic in the boot loader I don't yet
understand.

I'm sure a few minutes with Google will reveal the answer, I'll let you know how I
make out. I'll be out of the country for a couple of weeks, so it may be a while...

Doug