Re: NOW: Mail Blocking -- WAS: [SLUG] WiFI Ripoff

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 09:39:15 EST

On 3/31/06, Richard Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:
> There are other ways to control spam that doesn't include blocking. For
> example, you can add a small delay between sending messages. For the normal
> user, the delay won't be an issue but for someone who's trying to send out
> thousands and thousands of e-mails it would be almost impossible to
> send it all
> out in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe cap someone's daily limit of
> e-mails
> sent through your servers? I mean, most people don't send more than a hundred
> messages a day. If they do, they can ask for a higher e-mail cap.

My hosting provider has an e-mail limit of 50 per five minutes or 200
per hour, which posed an issue with a Mailman mailing list I hosted
there that had 187 subscribers. I worked around it by installing Dada
Mail on the web site, which throttles outgoing mailing list mail to
stay within the hosting provider's limits.

--
Steven Buehler | swbuehler@gmail.com
http://www.sanctuaryweb.org