Re: NOW: Mail Blocking -- WAS: [SLUG] WiFI Ripoff

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 11:45:21 EST

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 09:00 -0500, Richard Morgan wrote:
> There are other ways to control spam that doesn't include blocking. For
> example, you can add a small delay between sending messages. For the normal
> user, the delay won't be an issue but for someone who's trying to send out
> thousands and thousands of e-mails it would be almost impossible to
> send it all
> out in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe cap someone's daily limit of
> e-mails
> sent through your servers? I mean, most people don't send more than a hundred
> messages a day. If they do, they can ask for a higher e-mail cap.

The problem is that we're only talking about maybe 5 - 10 messages a day
from one of our users to different AOL members. It's not us. It's the
shared hosting. Somebody else has somehow gotten the shared host
blocked and even though they think they've worked it out with AOL
postmasters, we still get bounces from the postfix queue at dreamhost
with AOL denied codes (high volume) at the bottom.

I'm still fighting with them about it as we speak (or type). One of
their suggestions to me was to set up a postfix server myself and add
custom MX dns records to make it the preferred mail server. Not that it
isn't possible (we have 4 fixed IP's at our offices) or even difficult
but what kind of a solution is that?

-- begin mocking voice

If our services that you pay for aren't working....set up your own mail
server on top of ours to fix it! Good Luck!

/mocking

Or I guess I could stop complaining and get a dedicated server/IP from
them but for the additional annual cost, I might as well bring it in
house. Then I could use existing servers/IP's and take that extra money
and pump it in to bandwidth.

Then the reality sinks in of having to monitor/administer all those new
services. Yipee! Oh the joys if IT!

Mike Branda Jr.