Re: [SLUG] playing videos oddity

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 00:31:28 EDT

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Bob Stia wrote:

> On Saturday 08 April 2006 02:19, Eben King wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Bob Stia wrote:
>>> I have a bunch of *.wmv files that people send me by email. Size doesn't
>>> matter. Some are small and some are large. About half of them play with
>>> sound but no video. The others play perfectly well with either xine or
>>> mplayer.
>>>
>>> Anybody have a clue why that would happen?
>>
>> Might be a WMP 10-specific codec. Play one that DOESN'T work, and check
>> its codec in mplayer's output. Then play one that DOES work. Are they
>> different?
>
> Thanks Eben,
>
> Not sure if I can tell. Here is output from one that does NOT work:

> Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57.

> Here is one that DOES work:

> Selected video codec: [ffwmv2] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg M$ WMV2/WMV8)

> Of course the first one gives a message of wmv9 (and no video) and the 2nd
> shows wmv8 (amongst many other things which I cannot interpret) If you, or
> anybody else can, I would love to offer your opinions/expertise.

Presumably, if you found a codec that handled it you could force use of that
codec. But I don't know if anything will handle it.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.