Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 22:41:41 EDT

steve szmidt wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 17:41, Robert Eanes wrote:
>
>>--- Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

>>>there any way to tell

>>The only thing I know of that will do this kind of
>>thing is a DNS query. With the proper tool you should
>>be able to "copy" query the authoritative zone for the
>>address. I'm not sure how polite this would be...
>>it's sort of like setting up DNS replication. So it
>>might require a user/pass also. Never tried it on the
>>Internet, but does work on an Intranet when you have
>>all the "keys". On winders I use Superscan for this,
>>not sure what Linux alternative there is.
>>
>>Rob
>

> No it cannot hide the info, it must be available to work at all.
> If you queried the router it should tell you which routes it has as well.
>
> arp -vieth0 (insert a 'n' before 'i' to see IP)
> or
> cat /proc/net/arp
>
> lists all known routes. Problem is I doubt your ISP will let you execute arp,
> or reach below /proc/net/.
>
> Of course it will only list accessed websites. So that's limited use. Which
> then brings up the reason you want to know. Probably to see who you are
> fighting with?

The problem is this: periodically, we get blocked by spamhaus, spamcop
or the like. This doesn't happen because of our activities. Our hosting
is on a shared IP, and it's always some other bozo who's goofing around
or something who gets us blocked. We just moved all but one of our sites
to avoid this problem, and were given two IPs to host sites on. But
apparently, being given two IPs doesn't mean you're the exclusive user
of those IPs. Apparently, it's common practice to give you two IPs and
to give someone else those same two IPs. Moreover, in the interest of
economy, apparently hosting companies will run *one* instance of an SMTP
server on a different IP, for many, many sites. This complicates the
problem even more. The suggestion I keep getting is to go to dedicated
hosting. The problem there is twofold: 1) cost, which is enormous
compared to what I pay now, and 2) expertise, of which I have
insufficient to admin a box like this myself.

You may ask (as my previous hosting company did) why I don't use the
SMTP server for my ISP. Simple. Almost since the beginning of my being
on the internet, I've used *this* email address. I'd question a fellow
from IBM or HP sending me official communications from an AOL address.
Those guys all have ibm.com or hp.com email addresses, as they should.
Now, of course, we're nowhere near as big as IBM or HP, but I think the
principle is the same. I may (and I have) change ISPs. But my company
will be on the internet as long as I own the company. So that email
address is stable. And as long as it doesn't get blocked, I'm fine. But
when my business email gets bounced, I start to get very cranky about
the state of affairs in the hosting market, and tech support at those
same companies.

Of course, you could say it's my own fault for not springing for
dedicated hosting, and you'd be right. I don't promote our hosting
services because it's just a sideline. It mostly springs from our
designing websites. But the competition in that market is thick as
mosquitoes at 6pm in July. We make a lot more money on other things. If
our customers want us to design websites for them, we can do that, too.
But I'm not going to break my back promoting our web design business in
a market as crowded as this. So at some point, it just doesn't pay to
get dedicated hosting. But then we have the current problem. Vicious cycle.

</rant>

> Well you can usually do (provided you have shell access, which I only use
> ISP's that give me shell access, and did not sandbox you) is to browse
> outside your home dir. Then look in each of the dir's and you might be able
> to see who's there.
>
> If you don't want to create a long list of entries use something like mc,
> again if it's available.

Shell access. Unlikely. I don't know a whole lot of hosting companies
who will give shell access. I'm sure there are some, but I know of few
or none.

--
Paul M. Foster