Re: [SLUG] Linux on a Dell XPS M170

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 18:11:43 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> Richard Morgan wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience installing Linux on a Dell XPS M170
>> laptop? I've got one on the way and I want to install either
>> Slackware or Debian with
>> MythTV. I'm wondering if there are any gotchas to installing Linux
>> on this
>> machine.
>>

> You can install MythTV on a laptop, with the peculiar TV cards and
> stuff it requires?

MythTV has a "frontend" and a "backend".

The backend really needs a TV card, firewire connection to your settop,
or some other method of obtaining video streams.

The frontend can run on an Xbox hacked with Xebian - heck, you can run
it entirely off a CD on a laptop, no reason not to.

There are laptop TV capture devices now as well, some of the newer
high-end laptops have cables to permit native capture IIRC. So you _can_
use a laptop as a backend, the storage on a single 2.5" drive isn't
going to be as cheap as a stack of 3.5" drives in a server in another
room though (or at a colo.. that's why you have broadband, right? ;)

It looks like this particular laptop ships with Windows XP Media Center
Edition, which means it probably has TV capture of some kind worked in.

 - Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/