Re: [SLUG] Linux on a Dell XPS M170

From: Richard Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 08:45:44 EDT

Quoting "Ian C. Blenke" <icblenke@nks.net>:

> The backend really needs a TV card, firewire connection to your
> settop, or some other method of obtaining video streams.

Yep, I purchased the optional video capture/tuner card.

> It looks like this particular laptop ships with Windows XP Media
> Center Edition, which means it probably has TV capture of some kind
> worked in.

Right. And I maxed out the specs (money from a nice consulting job):

* 2.26Ghz Pentium M
* 2GB DDR2-533 Memory
* 120GB 5400rpm hard drive
* nVidia GeForce Go 7800GTX 256MB video card
* DVD-RW Drive
* 17" LCD Display
* Gigabit ethernet and Intel 802.11a/b/g wireless

It's a "desktop replacement" laptop aimed at the gaming segment. So I
wanted to
try MythTV on it to see how well it would work. Maybe I can get away
from work
early enough one day to bring it to a LUG meeting.

-Rich