Re: [SLUG] A simple script and printing question (?)

From: Macy1 Hallock (macy1@hallock.net)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 09:22:00 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Macy1 Hallock wrote:
>

>> I'm hacking a vendors ancient COBOL program output to print using lpr
>> (via cups) in Fedora.
>> Given a program output similar to that produced by "cat textfile.txt
>> >" If I append the sting "/dev/ttyS01" it prints to the serial port.
>> But I want to print using the cups spooler. I can't using lpr,
>> because the pipe metacharacter won't function.
>> So, how can I print the stdout via lpr under cups, not using a pipe?
>> Note that I can't modify the command shown in quotes, I can only
>> append to it, and there's a 15 character field limit to boot.
>
> Dump to a temp file, and print that? "cat textfile.txt >/tmp/x;lpr x"
> will fit (10 chars) and sorta work. Unless /tmp/x already exists.
> Don't know a way to cram even basic security in 15 chars.
Clever enough, but doesn't work. Since I'm submitting a destination to a
redirect, the semicolon does not work for command chaining.

> Well, you could do something like this beforehand:
>
> mkfifo /tmp/cobol-lpr-pipe
> chmod 660 /tmp/cobol-lpr-pipe
> lpr /tmp/cobol-lpr-pipe &
>
> then run

> cat textfile.txt > /tmp/cobol-lpr-pipe
Both Eben and Wayne suggested using a named pipe, which I thought would
be a good solution. However, it does not work, error message returned by
cups is

lpr: unable to print file: client-error-bad-request

I also tried lp since it handles stdin slightly differently with the
same error msg returned.

Still looking for a solution... any suggestions welcomed.

--
Macy Hallock  Hallock Consulting  Lutz, FL + Medina, OH
Tel 813-632-2988 Cell 813-493-8899 Email macy1 (at) hallock.net